posted by
//

Gas poisoning is a common cause of death worldwide especially because carbon monoxide is odorless and can hardly be detected without a special device. In order to keep you and your family safe, you must know which are the gas poisoning, how can you tell if you are in danger and what can you do to treat its effects. Read the following article and increase your precautions when it comes to gas poisoning.

Causes

Carbon monoxide is what causes gas poisoning and it’s something you have all heard about. It is formed when organic compounds burn but it’s odorless, tasteless, and colorless, which is what makes it so dangerous. If you can smell gas and you can know if you have gas leaks at home, things are different when it comes to carbon monoxide because you can sit in a room with carbon monoxide without knowing it. The most common source is the smoke caused by burning wood, which is also the main death cause in gas poisoning. Gas heaters, kerosene heaters, charcoal grills, vehicles’ exhausts, as well as strong paints and solvents also create carbon monoxide that is extremely dangerous when inhaled.

Symptoms

Not being able to detect carbon monoxide by smelling or seeing it means that you have to be very careful to the signs your body will show you in case of gas poisoning. The only way you can tell whether or not there is carbon monoxide in your house is to pay attention to how you feel. The most common symptoms of gas poisoning include headaches, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, vomiting, and shortness of breath in the early stages. As the poisoning gets more intense, you will start feeling abdominal pain, chest pain, agitation, confusion, and hallucinations. The symptoms can even include impaired judgment, walking problems, fainting, seizure, and visual changes.

Treatment

The first thing you have to do to avoid gas poisoning is to limit the use of dangerous items that can create carbon monoxide. You must avoid heating your house with gas heaters and opt for a safer version like the infrared heater that has no harmful emission while operating. Never fall asleep in a room heated with a gas heater because the consequences can be deadly. Prevention is the best way of treating gas poisoning because there is no home therapy available for these cases. In case you experience any of these symptoms and you know there is a risk of carbon monoxide in your house, you must immediately seek the help of a doctor.

Comments are closed.