Author Archives: Ariana Jones
Gas poisoning is a common cause of death worldwide especially because carbon monoxide is odorless and can hardly be detected without a special device. In order to keep you and your family safe, you must know which are the gas poisoning, how can you tell if you are in danger and what can you do to treat its effects. Read the following article and increase your precautions when it comes to gas poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is what causes gas poisoning and it’s something you have all heard about. It is formed when organic compounds burn but it’s odorless, tasteless, and colorless, which is what makes it so dangerous. If you can smell gas and you can know if you have gas leaks at home, things are different when it comes to carbon monoxide because you can sit in a room with carbon monoxide without knowing it. The most common source is the smoke caused by burning wood, which is also the main death cause in gas poisoning. Gas heaters, kerosene heaters, charcoal grills, vehicles’ exhausts, as well as strong paints and solvents also create carbon monoxide that is extremely dangerous when inhaled.
Not being able to detect carbon monoxide by smelling or seeing it means that you have to be very careful to the signs your body will show you in case of gas poisoning. The only way you can tell whether or not there is carbon monoxide in your house is to pay attention to how you feel. The most common symptoms of gas poisoning include headaches, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, vomiting, and shortness of breath in the early stages. As the poisoning gets more intense, you will start feeling abdominal pain, chest pain, agitation, confusion, and hallucinations. The symptoms can even include impaired judgment, walking problems, fainting, seizure, and visual changes.
The first thing you have to do to avoid gas poisoning is to limit the use of dangerous items that can create carbon monoxide. You must avoid heating your house with gas heaters and opt for a safer version like the infrared heater that has no harmful emission while operating. Never fall asleep in a room heated with a gas heater because the consequences can be deadly. Prevention is the best way of treating gas poisoning because there is no home therapy available for these cases. In case you experience any of these symptoms and you know there is a risk of carbon monoxide in your house, you must immediately seek the help of a doctor.
Tap water is our most accessible source of water but it’s also a big source of contaminants that reach into our body with every glass of water we drink. To make you more aware of the risk implied by drinking contaminated water, we have made a list of some of the most common and dangerous contaminants that are often found in tap water. We also offer you an efficient solution for removing all these harmful contaminants.
How can you stay away from these contaminants
The most effective way to obtain clean tap water is to use a water filter that can absorb all these contaminants and many others. According to the reviews written by Waterfilters.Systems, a good unit can handle up to 99.99% of the impurities, particles, bacteria, organic volatile compounds, heavy metals, and viruses existing in the tap water. Moreover, it improves the taste and quality of the water and makes it more appropriate for drinking, cooking, and showering. Look for a unit that can eliminate at least some of the following water contaminants and you will manage to protect your health.
The water running from your tap is treated with chlorine because it’s an inexpensive substance that can kill the bacteria existing in the water before it reaches your pipes. Although it’s used for making the water good for drinking and is designed to kill many bacteria in the water, chlorine is not very good for your health. Starting with the unpleasant smell that you sense when you take the glass of water to your mouth and nose, there are signs that tell you chlorine should not be in the water you drink.
Fecal Coliform Bacteria and Escherichia coli (E. coli)
These are extremely dangerous bacteria often present in the intestines of mammals and that can easily get into the ground water if a dead animal touches a river where the water is taken from. These two types of bacteria pose a risk to your health and can even be deadly for small children who drink contaminated water.
This contaminant is one of the most dangerous that are commonly seen in tap water because it’s very easy for it to reach the water. This happens because lead is found in the old pipes that transport the water to your home. Back in the days, lead was used in manufacturing the pipes and most of the homes built until the 1970s have lead pipes that transmit this dangerous metal to the water they handle.
Nitrate and nitrite
These two contaminants are very dangerous for newborns and infants that could get into contact with tap water through the formula they drink. The condition they cause implies severe brain damage and even death in children younger than six months.
This is another contaminant that is very dangerous for small children because it can cause the destruction of the teeth enamel, fragile bones, and painful joints. Small children must avoid drinking water with a high level of fluoride.
People who suffer from mobility impairments are forced to limit their activities because they can hardly move on their own and because any sudden movement could pose a risk to their safety and health. Fortunately for them, there are many devices that can help them move freely and perform regular daily chores without needing assistance. Thanks to these devices, mobility challenged people can lead a normal life.
The most common mobility aid used by people with disabilities is the wheelchair because it’s practical and more affordable than other devices that are more advanced. Mobility challenged people can use the wheelchair to move around their house and even outdoors, but with the condition of being able to move their hands. Maneuvering a wheelchair requires physical strength in order to rotate the wheels and move the device, which implies that the mobility impaired person should have strong hands otherwise, they will need someone to push them around.
Unlike the wheelchair, the mobility scooter can be handled easier by people who have little to no physical strength given that this device is a motorized one. Most mobility scooters are operated with a steering wheel but there are models that include a comfortable joystick so that even the people with severe mobility impairments will be able to maneuver such a device. The mobility scooter can be used both indoors and outdoors and can be equipped with accessories like crutch holders or grocery baskets so that the person using it can perform daily errands while driving it. You can check the prices and the features of the best scooters, by perusing the mobilityscooter.reviews website. There, you will find helpful information, that will help you pick a quality scooter for your needs.
For mobility challenged people to climb the stairs safely, the stair lift was designed and it was a great way for either impaired or old people to use the stairs without getting hurt. The stairlift is a mechanical device that is attached to the wall or rail of the staircase and includes a chair or a platform that can transport mobility challenged people safely up and down the stairs. This device enables them to use every floor of their house and even to go in the garden if installed outdoors onto the stairs that lead to the garden.
In case the mobility impairment is more severe and the person has suffered a limb amputation, there are prosthetic devices that can be attached to the part of the body that is missing a limb. Thanks to these devices that replace either an arm, a hand, a leg or a foot, the person who suffered an amputation can lead a normal life and perform normal activities that require all of their limbs.
People always say that you have to stay away from carbs if you want to keep a slim figure and most of them totally remove carbs from their diet, which is not necessarily a good thing. Good carbs or healthy carbs are essential for a balanced diet and have their role in maintaining you healthy and fit. Therefore, instead of depriving your body of the good carbs, consider including them in your diet.
- Corn is usually seen as a bad carb because it’s often used in processed foods that have no nutritional value, but corn as it is, is a great natural whole grain that can offer you fibers, vitamins, and antioxidants that can improve your vision. Avoid canned corn and opt for the fresh one that you can grill or add to your salad.
- For a long time, bananas have been considered bad for the diet because of the high nutritional value, but, in fact, they are a healthy carb that you should include in your diet. Bananas are full of vitamin C, potassium, manganese, and fibers, being an excellent food that can keep you full so you won’t feel the need to eat. You can either eat them whole or use them in your recipes to replace the more harmful fats.
- From the list of white foods that you should avoid, like white bread, white pasta or white rice, the white potatoes might have been misunderstood. Besides being tasty and versatile, they can actually be good for you because they offer potassium and fibers. To make good use of the white potatoes, you can opt for a light puree or you can cut them in slices, sprinkle olive oil and bake until crisp.
- Bread has always been a banned food when it came to a healthy diet that would help you stay fit. Still, you can eat bread whenever you like if you learn how to make it yourself and you use healthy types of flour. Investing in the best rated bread machine will come in handy when you want to prepare a healthy bread made with whole grain or delicious seeds that will offer you proteins and fibers. Read some reviews in order to see which is the best rated bread machine of the moment, and choose a quality device, which not only allows you to use different types of flour, but also allows you to add seeds, nuts and oher healthy fillings.
- Green peas are higher in carbs than the non-starch vegetables, but can offer you plenty of fibers and antioxidants that are essential for a healthy diet. Eat them dried or in soups or salads and they will help you stay fit and healthy.
The concern of many mothers is related to the disinfecting of the clothes their newborn babies are wearing. While some find it essential in maintaining a strict hygiene of the baby, others believe that it’s a way of keeping their immune system from developing strength against bacteria. In the following lines, we will try to clarify this issue and to determine which is the healthy limit that must be kept in disinfecting newborn clothes.
- It’s very important to wash the new clothes very well before they get into contact with the newborn because their skin is extremely sensitive. Washing every piece of clothing, the blankets, the sheets, and everything that touches the soft skin of a newborn is not an exaggerated hygiene measure, but a certainty that the baby will be protected against dirt and bacteria. The best way of washing your newborn’s clothes is to use a special liquid detergent that leaves the clothes softer and less scented. You can wash them in your regular washing machine after disinfecting the unit with vinegar and baking soda.
- Most moms prefer sanitizing the baby’s clothes, aside from washing them, because this way they feel more relaxed knowing that there are no bacteria on the newborn’s clothes. The most common way of disinfecting the clothes is to boil them or wash them at the highest temperatures in the washing machine. However, the easiest and most effective way is to iron them with a clothes steamer whose steam penetrates the fabric of the clothes. All you have to do is pass the clothes steamer over the newborn’s clothes and they will remain free of any bacteria and allergen that could endanger the baby’s health.
- Although disinfecting the newborn clothes might seem an exaggerated precaution, we must agree that it’s an important safety means that guarantees the baby will not get into contact with allergens and bacteria during their fragile first months. Considering that the baby’s sensitive skin is just starting to get used to the environment they must live in, it’s best that you help them accommodate to a safe and healthy living. However, disinfecting the clothes too much and for a very long amount of time could make the baby even more sensitive as their skin will not get into contact with any type of impurity, which will cause excessive sensitivity. This is why we advise you that you only sanitize the newborn clothes during their first 6 months.