Nowadays, people spend most of their time indoors, whether it is at home or at work, school, gym, mall and other indoor environments depending on their lifestyle. These environments can unknowingly expose you to indoor air pollutants that can affect your health and lead to a number of immediate or long term health problems. Common pollutants are found everywhere and include environmental tobacco smoke, mold spores, small particles, animal allergens, combustion gases, pesticides, and radon.
The effect of exposure to indoor pollutants can go unnoticed or vary from short term effects, such as eye irritation to more severe long term effects, such as respiratory disease and even cancer. Moreover, some indoor pollutants found in spaces without a proper air purifier network can amplify the effect of other indoor pollutants, worsening the symptoms. Federal scientists have ranked indoor air pollution as one of the greatest environmental problems in the US. Another common problem which leads to the spreading of air pollutants is a high humidity level. Luckily, you can eliminate indoor humidity with the help of a dehumidifier. If you are confronted with such a situation. invest in the best dehumidifier in 2016, a powerful and efficient unit which can handle your home’s humidity problems.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the most effective way you can reduce indoor air pollutants and exposure to them is by eliminating or at least reducing the sources by using a dehumidifier or an air purifier to cleanse the air of dust particles, pollen, mold, smoke and animal dander. The air purifiers use different filtration technologies. Carbon filters eliminate toxic odors, HEPA filters eliminate allergens and UV filters eliminate bacteria. Other ways of reducing indoor pollutants involve avoiding open fires, using Eco-friendly cleaning products and checking your home for harmful substances. Some air purifiers contain activated charcoal that can remove gaseous pollutants while others use ultraviolet light to kill germs and mold spores. To ensure the safety of your home, you can use either a dehumidifier or air purifier or a stronger combo of both.
How indoor air pollutants can affect your health depends on the type of pollutants, the duration of exposure, its concentration, the type of exposure (ingestion, inhalation, skin contact) and the sensitivities of the person exposed. The age of the building, indoor temperature and the amount of ventilation can also have an influence. Because the symptoms are very broad, they can be mistaken for the effects of another condition such as influenza, allergies or stress. If you notice a relief of these symptoms after leaving a building you might be dealing with indoor air pollutants contamination.
Immediate or Acute Effects
Fatigue Nose irritation
Watery eyes Skin allergy
Throat irritation Coughing and/or sneezing
Rashes Fever or chills
Tachycardia (a rapid heartbeat) Myalgia (muscle pain)
Hearing loss Lethargy, fatigue, malaise
Loss of coordination Dizziness and confusion
Nausea or vomiting Difficulty breathing
Central nervous system damage
Damage to the liver, kidneys or heart
Health problems associated with indoor health pollutants such as mold and VOCs can lead to allergic respiratory disease that may worsen the heart of the affected person even after exposure. The most common conditions are allergic rhinitis or hay fever, asthma and hypersensitivity pneumonitis. In closed, moist environments without a dehumidifier or an air purifier, mold can form and cause health problems which occur immediately or after a few days.
In many American homes, the basement is often re-purposed and turned into a living space, which can be quite dangerous if the humidity problem isn’t solved.In these situations, the house’s owner should invest in the best dehumidifier in 2016, a unit suitable for the size of the basement and the humidity level found there.
The most common symptoms of mold exposure include headaches, difficulty with concentrating or short-term memory, throat, nose and eye irritation. These symptoms are called building related symptoms and generally resolve themselves when the person is removed from the contaminated environment.